Thursday 12 January 2012

How did it come to this?

My name is Jon. I'm a pretty average guy; I live in London, have a decent career, modest income, good mates, go out a few times a week, recently stopped smoking, not repulsive to girls, go on at least 2 holidays a year, own a car, laptop, bunch of other crap I don't need. But there is something wrong.

Before I know it, I will be 30.

In 2005 I graduated from university. Within a month I had landed (blagged) my dream job at a major record label. I was 21 years old. That same month, London was announced as the host of the 2012 Olympics. I remember wondering what I would be doing in 2012. Life was good and therefore was convinced that by then I would:

- be the CEO of the label I worked for
- have an amazing girlfriend, preferably a musician
- own an Audi RS4 AND an Aston Martin DB9 (for weekends)
- go on at least 2 holidays a year
- own two houses, one in London and one in the alps

Suffice to say, I was pretty excited by the prospect of 2012.

Reality, as we all know, tends to be rather different. In the 7 years since 2005, I:

- have been made redundant...twice
- have been dumped by a long term girlfriend...twice
- own a 2003 Ford Focus (which I didn't even buy, my Dad gave it to me)
- go on at least 2 holidays a year - YES!
- live in a shared rented flat

It's now only 6 months until the Olympics and I have achieved one out of five of my goals. Not bad, but not ideal quite frankly.

I originally thought about trying to achieve all my original goals before the Olympics, but let's be honest, that will never happen.

Instead, I am going to spend the next year and a half trying to work my life out.

I'm going to work out why I shouldn't just be a bum. Right now it seems quite attractive.


No comments:

Post a Comment